Friday, June 26, 2009

Remembering The Times: Memories of Michael

michael-jackson-michael-jackson-41268_1024_768

As one of the first generation of kids who embraced those five flamboyant brothers known as The Jackson 5 in the pre-rap music ’70s, especially the perky innocence of the Afroed rug-rat that was Michael, it is difficult to comprehend that the “King of Pop” is now dead.

In those long-lost years before brother Jackson became known as a parody of his former self, his gorgeous voice and staggering image seeped into the fertile imaginations of America’s chocolate city children. ”We embraced the J5 like family, like imaginary best friends or make-believe boyfriends,” wrote soul historian David Ritz in his 1995 liner-notes for the four-CD Jackson box-set Soulsation! ”We loved their bounce and joyful rhythms.”

Many current artists from Jay-Z to Missy Elliott, Justin Timberlake to Usher, viewed M.J. as the guiding light that inspired their own ambitions. Missy Elliott once gushed, “I would sit in class and look out of the window hoping I’d see a limousine pull up outside. I’d hope to see a glittery glove on the limo door and it would be Michael Jackson and he’d say, I’m here to get Missy.

I can only imagine how difficult it must be for her to think of M.J. lying in a coma, taking his last breath.

thebestofmichaeljackson

FOR THE REST OF THIS ESSAY, GO TO:

http://soulsummer.com/ezine/feature-stories/remembering-the-time-memories-of-mike

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger One Woman Revolution said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Just like Missy Elliot, I dreamed of meeting Michael Jackson almost everyday of my childhood. My most memorable gift from my grandfather was a Billie Jean 45 record. I played that record over and over on my little record player. Michael will be missed.

8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home